Monday, April 09, 2007

Nice Buns!

Just wanted to show off my first attempt at baking Hot Cross Buns - yes, I know they are meant to be eaten on Good Friday, but I decided to make them today!

Fresh out of the oven and with glazy bits on

Can't you just smell their cinnamony goodness?!

The crosses on them are a bit wonky - my first attempt at piping as well, but all things considered, I think they look quite yummy! I did cheat a little bit and used my beloved Panasonic Breadmaker to make the dough. I recommend breadmakers to everyone - I am eating quite a healthy diet at the moment and don't eat a lot of bread, but one of my weekly treats is a fresh French Loaf, timed to be baked by 08:30 on a Saturday morning. Mmmmmm . . .

Warm, buttered and ready to be scoffed



History of the Hot Cross Bun courtesy of Wikipedia

In many historically Christian countries, the buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of the crucifixion. Their ingredients mean that people who are following lent are able to eat them as they traditionally contain no eggs or dairy products. They are believed by some to pre-date Christianity, though there is no original evidence for a pagan origin, and the first recorded use of the name Hot Cross Bun is not until 1733. According to food historian Elizabeth David, the buns were seen by Protestant English monarchs as a dangerous hold over of Catholic belief in England, being baked from the consecrated dough used in making the communion wafer. Protestant England attempted to ban the sale of the buns by bakers but they were too popular, and instead Elizabeth I passed a law permitting bakeries to sell them, but only at Easter and Christmas.

Those pesky Easter bunnies must have thieving from my kitchen again

No comments: